On June 3rd, 2019, the Town of Clifton Park Town Board awarded a Sewer Rehabilitation Contract for most of the Blue Spruce Lane sewer main. Over the past several months, pipe issues were identified, and the engineering work and the bidding process were completed. We fully expect the project to begin in the next few weeks as contractors meet with Town Representatives and Engineers to develop a schedule of work and an overall strategy to meet our goals. The Blue Spruce Lane Sewers are suffering from severe corrosion and were scheduled for rehabilitation this year. Unfortunately, in May we experienced a collapse in a section of pipe slated for replacement, which required immediate action.
The Town replaced 404 feet of pipe as part of an open trench operation, which created some disruptions and a stretch of rough roadway that exists today. We appreciate everyone’s patience regarding the road conditions and ask for your continued understanding as the planned project begins. When the project is completed this Summer, Blue Spruce Lane will be paved. For your convenience, we have assembled a rough schedule for your review. It is extremely important to understand that all dates or ranges of dates mentioned below are estimates and weather dependent. We will have more solid information once we meet with the contractor and understand how they will approach the job. We do know we are targeting a substantial completion date the first week of August 2019.
Scope of Work:
- Town has elected to utilize Cure In Place Pipe for most of the work along Blue Spruce Lane Approx. 3,500’. This technology eliminates the need to open cut the road and reduces disturbance significantly. This technology also can be a great deal less expensive overall providing a value both economically and via lower impact to residents.
- 17 Manholes will have the top sections removed and replaced. The manholes are to be lined after the collapsing top sections are replaced. This activity is expected to have the greatest impact on traffic and road quality.
- Final Paving- The Town Board has taken an initiative to shore up infrastructure underground (when possible) prior to paving to reduce or eliminate future roadbed issues, or cuts in newly paved roads. The road will be paved after sewer work is completed.
Preliminary Schedule (subject to change)
- 6/3/19 Contract Awarded to Arold Construction
- 6/10/19 Contracts signed by Town Supervisor
- Week of June 17th Preconstruction meeting with Arold Construction
- First week of July- Contractor Mobilization and Work begins
- Month of July- All Manhole tops from West Terrace Ct to the 4-way intersection with Shadow Wood Way will be removed and replaced. Expect delays, road closures, and rough pavement.
- Month of July- Lining of pipelines will be underway. Expect sanitary sewer service interruptions and possible water service interruptions during the day. The interruptions will be localized depending on what section pipe is being lined.
- Beginning of August- Substantial Work comes to an end, road will be a stone subbase where disturbed and left for paving crews.
- By Mid-August- Project is expected to be completed.
- End of August Road expected to be paved.
The Town of Clifton Park Sewer Department will send out letters to the residents of Blue Spruce Lane prior to the commencement of this project. These letters will provide a more comprehensive schedule as well as what preparation steps homeowners can take to reduce the temporary inconveniences that will likely arise from this project. Please understand it is a construction project and not everything goes to plan. Slight schedule adjustments are anticipated.